The holidays are fast approaching and along with the normal excitement and cheer this year, comes the uncertainty of navigating the holidays…during a pandemic! It can be easy to fall victim to stress and anxiety during these unprecedented times, but the Grinch didn’t steal Christmas from us and the holidays don’t have to be bah humbug bad. Here are some creative ways to celebrate 2020 style with friends and loved ones this holiday season. Stay healthy, stay merry and have a wonderful holiday season!
Celebrating The Holidays During A Pandemic:
- Celebrate virtually with family and friends via Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
- Start a holiday costume contest with the best dressed, the ugliest sweater, most festive and more winning a small prize or bragging rights.
- Get cooking with delicious ideas from Food Network or Delish.
- Play online games together or create your own games to play while video chatting. Here is a fun “Naughty or Nice List” Icebreaker and Holiday Bingo that would be fun to play with friends and family. They also list other fun ways to celebrate the holidays including a virtual scavenger hunt.
- Celebrate with members of your own immediate household and start a new tradition – such as celebrating in your comfy jammies or enjoying holiday movies together.
- Online Shop from the comfort of your own home and avoid long lines and big crowds.
- Attend holiday parades where social distancing is available.
- Prepare traditional holiday with your immediate family and deliver them to extended family and friends curbside.
- Participate in a gratitude activity; writing down things you are grateful for and sharing with your friends and family via email, text, video chat. Get started on your own gratitude challenge.
- Host a virtual Holiday crafting party where everyone shows off their new holiday décor crafts. Here is a list of easy holiday crafts to inspire you!
- Participate in a holiday virtual 5K. Holiday Hustle or Jingle All The 5K/10K/1K are fun run options to sign up with.
- Stream online church services or concerts with your family to enjoy from home together.
- Participate in a virtual gift exchange where gifts are exchanged in advance, but opened together via video chat.
- If you do choose to get together with people from outside your household, celebrate outdoors vs. indoors. Follow CDC guidelines on how to gather safely.
As what feels like the longest year that ever lasted finally ends – it is time to look forward to new beginnings! 2020 may not have been the best year for some, but we have so much to look forward to in 2021! Whether you are looking to enrich your mind, start a new hobby, begin a more healthy lifestyle, or just find yourself more present with loved ones; we’ve compiled a list to help you find your best self in 2021! Wishing all the best for all of our ILLING friends as we start a new year!
NYE Resolution Ideas:
- Be more Present in the moment.
- Unplug from social media & electronics.
- Add just 15 minutes of physical activity a day. Here are some easy exercises for beginners: Self, Shape, NBCNews.
- Quit an unhealthy habit.
- If spiritual, start (virtually) going to more church or religious functions or services.
- Pick up a new hobby to try. Find cool ideas at Shape.
- Travel more (once safe to do so).
- Start a Random Acts of Kindness Challenge. Free printable here.
- Start Meditating.
- Start a daily devotional or journal prompt. Here are some devotionals you might like to start.
- Start your day with daily affirmations. Here are 35 positive affirmations to start changing your life for the better.
- Be more conscious of what you are eating and try to eat healthier options.
- Include greens and other healthy nutrients into your daily intake.
- Take vitamins or supplements.
- Make sure to hug your loved ones daily.
- Read more books.
- Save $$$ for a short term/long term goal that you have been longing for.
- Make more time for loved ones.
- Start using “cleaner” products in the home and for personal care.